PASSENGER WAITING ROOM
The Waiting Room is dedicated to the railroad traveler, and to those railroad personnel, including engineers and firemen, brakemen, conductors, porters, dining car stewards, chefs, waiters, lounge car attendants, and the many others who supported travelers on their journeys along the railroad lines of the West.
The Waiting Room (and adjoining SBHRS Library) is a part of the original Santa Clara Depot, built during 1863, and opened for passenger use beginning in January 1864. The depot was open to the traveling public until March 17, 1995, when the last ticket for a CalTrain commute train was sold by the ticket agent assigned to this facility. After that date and until 1997, a ticket agent, operating behind closed doors, processed sales by mail of CalTrain monthly commute tickets.
This room was used for storage by CalTrain and the South Bay Historical Railroad Society until May of 2014 when SBHRS volunteers undertook a total renovation of the Waiting Room, including repair of the walls, fresh paint throughout, the addition of roller blinds, laying of laminated wood flooring, refurbishment of two display cabinets and the construction of two more. During 2013, the original passenger bench was restored by members of Boy Scout Troop No. 394 of Santa Clara. At the conclusion of the Waiting Room renovation, artifacts reflecting the history of railroad travel and the service personnel who supported them were incorporated into the room.As a wing of the Edward Peterman Museum of Railroad History, the Passenger Waiting Room is a place to reflect on the history of rail travel, both by those who undertook the ride of the rails and those who provided the services for those travelers.